If you think an interior designer’s role is simply to make a room pretty once the architects and builders have finished the job, think again.
Interior designers bring a lot to the planning table, and when the designer and building team collaborate on the front end, that’s when design magic can truly happen.
Before we get to what to ask an interior designer in your first meeting, let’s talk about the difference between Interior Designers and Interior Decorators.
The difference really comes down to just this: scope of work and specialization.
- Interior decorators provide aesthetic assistance for completely constructed spaces. Decorators help decide on your style; make selections like wallpaper, paint, and furnishings; choose lighting fixtures and accessories; or select window treatments.
- Interior designers can provide this decorating assistance, but they also provide invaluable structural design expertise. Interior designers also specialize in guidance of home’s architectural design phase, during construction, and beyond. They ensure your desired aesthetic is carried throughout the home. Interior designers are crucial for large custom home building or renovation projects.
Tips For Hiring An Interior Designer
Before hiring an interior decorator, you need to identify your style or look for inspiration (check Houzz, design magazines, local model homes, or even a nearby architect’s portfolio) to share with the designer once you do hire him or her. You’ll need to know your preferences, your budget, and your timeline.
When you have a pretty clear idea of the style or colors you are most interested in using, start doing your homework on your design candidates. Check out their portfolios to discover their range and whether their aesthetic aligns with your own. Look at their website for credentials and certifications. After doing your homework, narrow it down to two or three people to interview face-to-face.
Top Ten Interior Design Questions and Answers
- What design services do you offer?
- How do you and your team stay organized?
- Where do you find inspiration and how do you stay current?
- How do you prioritize your clients’ budget throughout the project?
- What are your references and credentials?
- Can you recommend local builders?
- Have you done similar projects to mine?
- What is your favorite interior design style?
- What was your most recent interior design project?
- How can I live better in my home?
Selecting your interior designer is a decision as personal and consequential as choosing your builder and architect, and their answers to these questions are the key to discovering which designer is right for you.
For suggestions about the kinds of answers to look for from your prospective interior designer— or why we have chosen these particular questions — download our resource document.
For more ideas and resources for any stage of your build, contact us. We stand by our quality, have glowing reviews with past clients, and want you to feel assured and apprised of the progress of your home each step of the way. We welcome questions and put a premium on clear, concise and prompt communication so that you know you, and your home, are in good hands.
To get started working with us on your build, contact us to Schedule your Idea Session today.